Spreen's shot has more than 1.5 million views on YouTube
COLUMBIA, Ky. -- Lindsey Wilson College senior men's basketball student-athlete Chase Spreen added to the lore of LWC athletics on Saturday, Jan. 14 when he hit a three-quarters court shot at the buzzer to help the Blue Raiders to a 79-78 win over Georgetown College.
The shot and media frenzy to follow is No. 3 on the Lindsey Wilson College athletics' Top-22 of 2011-12.
Spreen's three-pointer as time expired gave the Blue Raiders their only lead of the game. The win eventually helped Lindsey Wilson secure its first outright Mid-South Conference regular season title -- finishing a game ahead of Georgetown in the final standings.
Soon after the game, the video exploded on YouTube and was No. 2 on ESPN Top-10 Plays of the Day. That was just the beginning as the shot made its way onto Yahoo, The Ellen Show, CNN Headline News and The CBS Morning Show just to name a few.
Click here to read about the Lindsey Wilson-Georgetown game.
Click here to watch the shot.
More about No. 3…
- The YouTube video of the shot has more than 1.5 million views.
- The shot was a finalist for the 2012 GEICO Basketball Play of the Year.
- The game-winner concluded a dramatic comeback as the Blue Raiders trailed 50-35 at the half and 58-39 in the early stages of the second half.
- Lindsey Wilson was down 74-63 with 3:09 left before finishing the game on a 16-4 run.
- The win helped Lindsey Wilson sweep the season series over Georgetown for the first time. The Blue Raiders won the return trip at Georgetown 71-69 on Feb. 18.
- For his season, Spreen was named NAIA Third-Team All-American and All Mid-South Conference.
- He is also a NAIA Scholar Athlete for maintaining at least a 3.5 GPA and a NABC Honors Court honoree.
- Spreen was selected as the 2011-12 Lindsey Wilson College Male Student-Athlete of the Year.
- He led the Blue Raiders in scoring in 2011-12, averaging 15.4 points a game.
- Spreen concluded his career with 965 points which ranks 13th on the program's all-time scoring list.