LWC student-athletes set a number of academics school records in 2011-12
COLUMBIA, Ky. -- While 2011-12 was an incredible year on the field of play for Lindsey Wilson College athletics, LWC student-athletes produced a historical year in the classroom.
The 2011-12 academic accomplishments are No. 9 on the Lindsey Wilson College athletics' Top-22 of 2011-12.
Lindsey Wilson College varsity student-athletes set school records for numbers of NAIA Scholar Athletes, NAIA Scholar Teams, Academic All Mid-South Conference performers and overall team grade point average during the season.
To earn NAIA Scholar-Athlete, a varsity student-athlete must maintain a 3.50 GPA on a 4.0 scale and be a junior or senior academic standing. The scholar team award is reserved for teams where the combination of all varsity student-athletes are 3.0 GPA or higher during the academic year.
The academic conference award is for varsity student-athletes with a sophomore or higher academic standing with a 3.25 GPA or higher.
Lindsey Wilson varsity student-athletes finished 2011-12 with a department-wide 3.09 for the academic year and a cumulative GPA of 3.06.
More about No. 9…
- 36 LWC student-athletes earned NAIA Scholar-Athlete. The previous high for Lindsey Wilson was 19 during the 2010-11 academic year.
- 12 teams earned NAIA Scholar Team bettering the previous best of 11 each of the last two seasons.
- NAIA Scholar teams include: Women's Soccer (3.54), Women's Cross Country (3.53), Men's Tennis (3.46), Volleyball (3.46), Women's Track & Field (3.41), Women's Swimming (3.32), Men's Soccer (3.27), Women's Tennis (3.26), Women's Basketball (3.19), Women's Golf (3.09), Men's Track & Field (3.08) and Men's Golf (3.05).
- 96 student-athletes from Lindsey Wilson earned Academic All Mid-South Conference. The previous best was 67 last year.
- The 96 academic all-conference performers are the most in the MSC this season.
- Women's soccer captured the team GPA award at Lindsey Wilson in 2011-12 with a 3.54 GPA -- edging women's cross country's 3.53.
- Chase Spreen and Trina Slapeka were named Lindsey Wilson College Male and Female Student-Athlete of the Year in 2011-12.