LWC individuals collected 261 conference and national awards in 2011-12
COLUMBIA, Ky. -- While Lindsey Wilson College teams had remarkable years on the conference and national level, LWC student-athletes and coaches produced terrific individual years as well.
Blue Raider student-athletes and coaches were recognized more than 200 times in 2011-12 on the national and conference level either for their play on the field or court and for their work in the classroom.
The honors are No. 15 on the Lindsey Wilson College athletics' Top-22 of 2011-12.
In 2011-12, Lindsey Wilson athletics set program records for students being named NAIA First Team All-American (23), NAIA Scholar-Athlete (36), Mid-South Conference Freshman of the Year (8) and Academic All Mid-South Conference (85).
Coaches matched the best output of MSC Coaches of the Year with seven during the season and one NAIA Coach of the Year.
Also in 2011-12, eight MSC Players of the Years were Blue Raiders and 51 were named all-conference while one student-athlete each earned second and third team All-American.
More about No. 15…
- MSC Players of the Year includes: Cara Law (Softball), Takudzwa Mhlanga (Men's Track & Field), Leandro Perez (Baseball), Mia Persson (Women's Soccer), Charlie Pingleton (Wrestling), Sharon Ronoh (Women's Cross Country), Trina Slapeka (Women's Tennis) and Jamie Williams (Softball).
- MSC Freshman of the Year includes: Alex Abner (Football), Fernando Bogajo (Men's Tennis), Branden Cresap (Football), Diana Gerlakh (Women's Tennis), Takudzwa Mhlanga (Men's Track & Field), Laerke Lillelund Michaelsen (Women's Soccer), Monny Niamke (Women's Basketball) and Carl Pettersson (Men's Soccer).
- MSC Coaches of the Year includes: Jonathan Burton (Baseball), Drew Burwash (Women's Soccer), Shaun Cozart (Women's Golf), Daniel Finn (Men's Tennis), Ashley McCool-Cozart (Softball), Paul Peck (Men's Basketball) and Ray Wells (Men's Soccer).
- Ray Wells was named NAIA National Coach of the Year after leading the men's soccer team to the national title in 2011.
- The 85 academic all-conference honors surpass the previous high -- set in 2010-11 -- by 18.
- The 23 NAIA First-Team All-Americans are two more than the previous best of 21 set in 1997-98.
- In addition to the first, second and third teams, seven student-athletes earned honorable mention All-American and 31 Blue Raiders were picked for honorable mention all-conference.
- Joining the student-athletes and coaches with conference accolades were Willis Pooler (MSC Athletics Director of the Year) and Chris Wells (MSC Sports Information Director of the Year).
- Including honorable mention honors, 261 awards were presented to Lindsey Wilson College individuals either from the NAIA or MSC in 2011-12.