LWC News
News Photo
Mark Corbett sends football past West Virginia Tech 9-7 with a fourth quarter field goal on Saturday.
Football - Sat, Oct. 30, 2010

COLUMBIA, Ky. -- Mark Corbett simply wasn't done being a hero for the Lindsey Wilson College football team.

Just a week after kicking the game-winning field goal in double overtime at Kentucky Christian University, Corbett found himself in a similar situation, delivering a 35-yarder through the uprights to give the Blue Raiders a 9-7 win against visiting West Virginia Tech on Saturday at Blue Raider Stadium.

After missing his first attempt of the day from 43 yards out in the first quarter, Corbett bounced back with three straight makes from 35, 39 and 43 yards.

All nine points in the win that gives Lindsey Wilson a 4-5 overall record and 3-1 mark in the Mid-South Conference East Division came from Corbett's leg.

Wide receiver Cameron Zuehlsdorf was the leading rusher for the Blue Raiders with 38 yards on seven carries, while Matt Powers caught four passes for 63 yards to lead the wide outs.

Ricky Bowling finished with 118 yards through the air on 16-of-30 passing for Lindsey Wilson, but threw a pair of interceptions on the day.

Derek Barrett and Romell Freeman paced the Blue Raider defense with six tackles each, while Jake Lawrence and Shawn Kitchen each registered a sack.

West Virginia Tech (2-7, 1-3 MSC East) didn't score in the game until the 10-minute mark of the fourth quarter.

Trailing 6-0, the Golden Bears originally started their drive after a Corbett punt was downed at their own 33-yard line.

However, there was a 15-yard kick catch interference penalty, followed by another 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called on Lindsey Wilson that moved the ball up to the Blue Raider's 36-yard line.

From there West Virginia Tech used an eight-yard touchdown run by Josh Culbertson to knot the game at 6-6 before the point after by Zach Christennsen put it up 7-6 with 10 minutes to play in the game.

Trailing for the first time, the Lindsey Wilson offense went to work on the very next drive.

The biggest play of the drive before the field goal came on second and four at the Golden Bear 49-yard line when Bowling connected with Victor Moulden on a 22-yard highlight-reel pass.

After that reception Bowling found Chris Dobbins streaking across the middle of the field for a seven-yard pass that put them well into field-goal range. Richard Kennedy, DeMichael Wallace and Bowling all traded carries for short yardage, setting up Corbett with the 35-yard attempt for the lead.

The drama didn't end with Corbett's strike as Lindsey Wilson was forced to punt with under a minute left in the game.

Henry Barber returned the kick all the way to the Lindsey Wilson 33-yard line where the ball was spiked by Golden Bear quarterback Michael Scott on first down.

After an incomplete pass, Scott found Joey Christian on the sideline for a six-yard pass that he took out of bounds to stop the clock with four seconds to play.

With just enough time for one more play, Christennsen put his foot on an attempt from 44-yards out that sailed wide left, sealing the Lindsey Wilson win with no time remaining on the clock.

Lindsey Wilson returns to action at 1:30 p.m. CT on Saturday, Nov. 6 against Georgetown (Ky.) College in the final home game of the season at Blue Raider Stadium.
Bookmark and Share